BMO Latino Alliance Scholarship Fund
Now in its 25th anniversary year, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood provides a Jesuit, dual-language, college preparatory education and professional work experience to students from Spanish speaking families with limited financial means. To make this possible, Cristo Rey pioneered the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP) model. The CWSP enables students to earn almost 70% of the cost of their own education by working at a local business or nonprofit agency, including our longtime hiring partners at BMO! In addition to making tuition affordable, the CWSP gives students the real-world work experience to succeed as first-generation college students and beyond. With no entrance exam:
- 98% of juniors pass the AP Spanish Language Exam and 81% of seniors pass the AP Spanish Literature Exam, by scoring three or higher.
- Our graduates' 20.7 average score on the ACT College Readiness Exams ties the national average of 20.8 for all populations.
- 100% of students are accepted to college.
- Our most recent graduates received financial awards covering an average 74% of tuition and fees at the schools they now attend – 84% to four-year institutions – ranging from Columbia University in New York to Seattle University and The University of Chicago in between.
- 96% of graduates from the Class of 2019 enrolled in a two-or-four-year institution within a year of graduation, with 55% enrolling in four-year institutions and graduate at a rate four times greater than their peers.
- After graduation more than half our CWSP partners hire our alumni.
Though our model offers an innovative solution to making a college preparatory education affordable, many of our families still need additional assistance to send their children to Cristo Rey. Each year, approximately 90% of our students receive extra financial assistance – through both need-based financial assistance and merit-based scholarships – to pay the $2,950 requested Family Contribution toward our cost of education. For the last seven years, BMO's Latino Alliance Scholarship Fund has supported those merit-based scholarships, giving educational opportunity each year to Cristo Rey students who demonstrate academic excellence, a commitment to service, and whose family experiences financial need.
With 53% of student households reporting a lost job or significant source of income since March and the CWSP temporarily scaled back to keep vulnerable students safe, Cristo Rey appreciates this support more than ever.
Please complete the form below to make your contribution, and thank you in advance for your support of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School!