Oscar J. Arreguin Memorial Scholarship (CLOSED)
*For a student who has a personal connection or interest in the military, or who has a relative currently serving in the military or who is a first responder.
The Oscar J. Arreguin Memorial Scholarship honors a local young man, Oscar J. Arreguin, for his strong and courageous personality. Oscar’s seven-year battle with cancer ended when he passed away at the age of 28 in 2011. Oscar enlisted in the U.S. Army after attending a nearby high school. He proudly served as a sergeant, during which time he was deployed to Iraq and Kuwait. He truly loved being a soldier and took great pride in serving his country with honor.
Oscar tackled new adventures despite his illness, such as traveling, skydiving, taking college classes, and starting his own landscaping business. He saw challenges as opportunities to better himself and the world around him. It was important to him to do things “the right way” so that he could be proud of his legacy. He had a strong faith in God and lived out his faith in his words and actions. Above all, Oscar was a devoted family man who loved to talk about his favorite team, the Chicago White Sox. He was loved by many and will be forever remembered for his amazing spirit.
In memory of Oscar J. Arreguin and the qualities he brought to his community, a $2,500 scholarship will be awarded to one Cristo Rey student based on the criteria outlined below.
Eligibility and Obligations
- Preference for junior and senior students (renewable through senior year), though sophomores may apply
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Have a personal military connection, whether it is having a family member who serves/served or demonstrating interest to enroll in the military after high school OR have a family member who is a first responder.
- Write a thank you letter
How to Apply
- Submit an application below
- One - $2,500 scholarship; renewable through senior year.
- Saturday, September 9